Amboli hill station or Amboli ghat is lies amidst hills of the western ghat. It is the last mountainous spot behind which the coastal region of Konkan lies.
Best Time To Visit: July to May is the ideal time to visit Amboli. The temperature of Amboli goes down up to 5°C in winter and increases up to just 35°C in summer. So you can actually visit this spot at any time of the year.
Location Address: 32 km from Sawantwadi, Sahyadri hills, Sindhudurg, Maharashtra (India).
Elevation / Height: Amboli ghat lies 690 Meters above MSL.
Amboli Hill Station Information
Amboli is a pleasant & beautiful hill station located in the southern ranges of the Sahyadri hills in Sindhudurg district of Maharashtra. It lies at an altitude of 690 meters and receives the highest rainfall in Maharashtra. The hill station is also popular as a romantic honeymoon destination.
The Amboli Ghat lie on the southern tip of Sahyadri Mountain Range in Maharashtra. It is a tranquil hill station amidst Sahyadri Mountain Range. There are numerous viewpoints at Amboli hill station which gives splendid views of the surrounding hills. Amboli village is popular as ‘Mahabaleshwar‘ of Konkan region.
Amboli is the only hill station in Maharashtra from where you can witness an amazing expansive view of the Konkan coast (in a clear weather!). It is an amazing place to take serene walks amidst lush green forest and beautiful hills. More than 50,000 tourists give the visit to Amboli hill station every year.
Amboli Ghat Surroundings
Average annual rainfall at Amboli is 750 cm [296 Inches]. Due to heavy rainfall, Amboli has got a thick forest cover, canopied hills, and deep valleys. It is also popular as Cherapunji of Maharashtra which makes Amboli a lovely place for a short holiday. Amboli hill station is an enchanting place to visit in the monsoons!
During monsoon months, you can enjoy splashing waterfalls, lush green environment, cool breezy mornings and great panoramic views at this place. You can get magnificent bird eye views of the Konkan coast from Amboli Ghat. The climate always remains pleasant and foggy. The mornings & evenings displays outstanding views of nature & valleys.
This hill station is not yet fully commercialized as other hill stations in Maharashtra. So you can spend your holiday peacefully and enjoy quality time amidst nature over here. Summers at Amboli hill station are also pleasant and cool. Amboli was developed as a hill station by a British political agent Colonel Westrop. It is one of the amazing spots to visit in Konkan!
Places To Visit In Amboli
All attractions in Amboli are situated close to each other. If you don’t have your own car, then auto-rickshaws are available. Even few hotels in Amboli hill station provide car services to their guests.
- Hiranyakeshi Temple (6 km away): It is a temple dedicated to Goddess Parvati. The originating spot of Hiranyakeshi river is in a cave beside this temple. The temple has an idol of Hiranyakeshi Devi idol, Lord Ganesha, and a Shivling.
- Madhavgad Fort (3 km away): It is a very huge & ancient fort which was constructed by Sawants. The size of this fort is said to be 4 times the size of Shaniwar Wada in Pune. You can see nice views of the nearby forest valleys and Konkan coast from Madhavgad fort.
- Nangartas Waterfall (10 km away): The fall of Nagartas Is 40 feet high that attracts many tourists. This waterfall lies on State Highway 121. One concrete bridge has also been built to get close to the waterfall.
- Sunset Point: This is a great spot to witness sunset as well as sunrise views. Popular hotel of Vithhal Kamat is just next to this point.
- Kavleshet Point (11 km away): Now this is the point from where you can see magnificent views of the lush green valleys. This point also serves as an echo point that throws the voice back after shouting. The last 3 km road to this point is very bad and remains humanless except few tourists!
- Maruti Mandir (2 km away): It is a temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman. This temple also hosts Lord Ganesh, Ram temple and a Samadhi of a local saint.
- Mahadev Gad (2.5 km away): This fort also provides great valley views.
- Shirgaonkar Point
- Botanical Garden
- Bauxite Mines (10 km away)
Wildlife At Amboli Ghat
Amboli is also blessed with rich wildlife. It is a treat for nature & wildlife lovers. There are a large number of flora & fauna species amidst the jungles of Amboli. Wild animals like Leopards, Antelopes, Wild Boars, Bisons, and Monkeys roam in the forest of Amboli hill station.
Species of birds such as Red-Whiskered Bulbul, Drongo, Hornbill, Paradise Flycatcher, Indian Scimitar Babbler, Indian Scimitar Babbler, Yellow-Browed Bulbul, Orange-Headed Ground Thrush, Crimson-Backed Sunbird and many other live over here. One can see a large number of reptiles, butterflies, and frogs while roaming amidst alongside the Amboli Ghat.
IMPORTANT TOURIST INFORMATION
Time Required: 2 Days are enough to see all points in Amboli.
How To Reach Amboli Hill Station
Amboli is just 32 km away from Sawantwadi. It lies on the main State Highway – 121 connecting Nipani to Sawantwadi which further goes towards Goa. So a lot of tourists going to Goa stop over here to enjoy waterfalls during monsoon season!
- By Road: You can take your vehicles till the main hill station. It is 119 km away from Kolhapur, 235 km from Satara, 344 km away from Pune, 487 km from Mumbai, 625 km from Nashik and 1025 km from Nagpur. State Transport buses (MSRTC) ply to Amboli from all major cities in Maharashtra. Hill station is just 3 km far from the main ST Bus Stand.
- Nearest Rail Station: Sawantwadi Road station on the Konkan Railway is the nearest railhead to reach Amboli. The distance between Station & Amboli ghat is 39 km. Belgaum station is the another option (80 km away).
- Nearest Airport: Belgaum airport is the closest airport to Amboli hill station which is 80 km away. Dabolim airport in Goa is another option which is 105 km away. Taxis are easily available outside the station to reach up to the hill station.
Restaurants / Eating Stuff: Some nice restaurants are there at Amboli which provide good food. Vithhal Kamat is a hot destination among tourists as it is situated along cliff side providing a good view!
Hotels Accommodation / Staying Options
There are a few decent hotels &resorts at Amboli hill station. These hotels are on the highway between the main bus stand and police check post. MTDC accommodation is also available in Amboli. You can check the availability of MTDC rooms at this link.
Hotels like Whistling Woods, Silent Valley Resort, Nisarg Family Resort, Hotel Sailee, Shanti Darshan, Hotel Shiv Malhar Nad and Vrindavan Resorts are popular among tourists. Apart from basic facilities, they also provide cab services for sightseeing of Amboli Ghat.
It is advisable to book a hotel in advance as the number of hotels in Amboli is less. Apart from this, very few hotels accept credit/debit cards. So carry sufficient amount of hard cash along with you.
Attractions Nearby Amboli Hill Station:
- Moti Talao Lake
- Sangreshwar Beach
- Bhogve Beach
- Terekhol Fort
- Redi Ganesh
- Sindhudurg Fort
- Bhalchandra Maharaj Ashram
- Nivati Beach
- Shiroda Velagar Beach
- Kunkeshwar Temple
Amboli hill station is a visual treat in the monsoon season. So if you wish you visit a spot amidst nature and away from noise then this is a perfect spot to think of!
Map To Reach: