Avchitgad fort trek is a relatively less popular trek in the Sahyadri Mountain Range. This fort is very rich in history but still is on an unexplored state!
Location Address: Medha Village, 7 kms from Roha or Pingalsai Village (5 km from Roha), Maharashtra (India) – 402 109.
Best Time To Visit: Monsoon season is the best time to visit this fort. You can experience lush green beauty of the nature in this period.
Elevation/Formation: This fort has an height of about 1000 feet.
Avchitgad Fort Information:
Situated near the town of Roha, ths is a hill fort in Raigad district. This fort is less explored and not known to many people as compared to other forts in Maharashtra. The fort region is blessed with abundant natural beauty along with surrounding Konkan region. Avchitgad fort trek is one of the scenic treks in Western Ghats. The bastion on the South side of the fort has some inscriptions on it which is “Shri Ganeshay Namaha Shri Jayadev – Shake 1718 – Nal Nam Samvatsarae – Chaitra Shuddha Pratipada”.[caption id="attachment_1817" align="aligncenter" width="600"] One entrance of the fort![/caption]
Every year, the fort hosts an annual fair on the top on the auspicious occasion of Makar-Sankranti. The fort stands at a height approximately 1000 feet. It has total 4 gate entrance and 2 main bastions. There is a rock-cut carving of a horse before the entrance. Fort region is surrounded by thick cover of forest. The entire trek route has dense jungle. From top you can get a beautiful view of the green forest cover around the fort.
Avchitgad Fort Trek Routes
There are 3 routes to reach on the Avchitgad. Medha, Pingalsai and Padam are 3 base villages to reach on the Avchitgad. Out of these, Medha & Pingalsai villages ae accessible by Maharashtra state transport buses.
- Via Medha Village: The route going from the Medha village is most preferred by the hikers. The trek route strats from a big well called ‘Haud’ and goes along the Vithhal temple. It takes around 1 hour to reach on the top of the fort from Medha. Medha village ia 8 km away from the Roha town.
- Via Pingalsai Village: This village is 5 km away from Roha. It also takes about 1 hour to reach on the fort top.
- Via Padam-Kharapti Village: The route going from Padam takes you to the Southern entrance of fort in 2 hours. This trek route starts behind the old factory in Padam village. Avchitgad fort trek via Padam has exciting route through thick woods.
- Via Wagh Dhondi: Experienced trekkers can go by a shortcut via Wagh Dhondi which takes only 30 minutes. It’s a bit difficult route as compared to other trek routes.
As per the belief, this fort was constructed in the Shilahar dynasty. Later on it was also under the control of Nizamshahi dynasty of Ahmednagar. Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj took control of fort in his reign and reconstructed the fort. This reconstruction was done in short time and in hurry. Hence it was renamed as Avchitgad (Avchit=Hurry, Gad=Fort in Marathi). Peshwas was ruling the fort on behalf of Maratha empire till it was won by British East India Company in 1818 (In the 3rd Anglo-Maratha War).
What To See
There are many water tanks along Avchitgad fort trek route. The main big water tank is present at the entrance. Drinkable water is available in some of these water tanks. The fort has a splendid dodecahedron shaped (16 sided) lake on the top. Like many other forts this fort also has temple of Shiva. You can see shrines of Bhavani Devi, Shree Khandoba & Pingalsai Devi on the fort top. There are number of tanks on the forts. The fort also has 3 cannons on the top. It takes about 2 hours to explore the ort properly.[caption id="attachment_1820" align="aligncenter" width="600"] View through the bastion![/caption]
Peaks of Raigad, Sudhagad, Korigad, TailBaila, Sarasgad, Savashni Ghat, Murud-Janjira Fort and Dhangad are visible from the fort top. You can see lot of trees like Mango, Teek, Jamoon & Australian Acacia along the trek route. This forest serves as a home to animals like Foxes, Monkeys, Boares etc. Leopard & hares can also be spotted in this jungle. It also has a large number of bird species.
IMPORTANT TOURIST INFORMATION
How To Reach Avchitgad
ST buses are available till the Medha village. First you need to catch the ST bus for Roha then catch the 2nd bus to Medha from Roha.
- By Road: The fort is 118 km away from Mumbai, 142 km from Pune, 258 km from Nashik and 303 km from Kolhapur. You can catch ST buses or private buses from these cities till Roha. From Roha, local private transportation is available till base villages.
- Nearest Railway Station: Roha and Nidi are the nearest railheads to reach over here. You can take private vehicles or ST buses from these towns to reach up to your desired base village.
- Nearest Airport: Mumbai airport is the closest airport to this fort.
Time Required: It takes about 1 hour to reach the top of the fort from Medha & Pingalsai villages.
Difficulty Level: Easy. Avchitgad fort trek falls under the easy grade treks.
Accommodation/ Staying Options: There are no staying options on the fort. You can ask for homestays and stay in the base villages.
Restaurants Nearby/ Eating Stuff: There are no eateries or restaurants nearby the fort. So please carry your own food & sufficient water while visiting over here.
Map To Reach:[mapsmarker marker="172"]
Avchitgad fort trek is a great place for nature lovers. Unlike other forts, it is not much flocked by tourists so you can enjoy being yourself!