Borivali national park Mumbai or Sanjay Gandhi National Park is one of the prominent tourist attractions in Mumbai.
Location Address: Borivali (East), on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway, Maharashtra (India) – 400 066.
Best Time To Visit: June to March is the best time to visit Borivali national park Mumbai in comfort point of view. But the possibility of spotting big animals increases in summer months (April & May).
Borivali National Park Mumbai Information
Also popular as Sanjay Gandhi National Park, it is one of the most visited urban sanctuaries in the world. Situated near the busy vicinity of Mumbai city, this national park acts as a wildlife corridor. This national park extends from the Borivali region of Mumbai till the Thane city. Park is about 44 km away from the heart of the city. It has spread over the area of 104 Sq.kms. Just after entering the park it’s easy to forget that you are in one of the busiest cities in the world. So it is one of the must-visit spots in Mumbai.[caption id="attachment_1191" align="aligncenter" width="451"] Lush surroundings in park![/caption]
It has a privilege of only wildlife sanctuary situated amidst a metropolitan city throughout the world. Borivali national park Mumbai is popular among nature lovers, adventure and wildlife enthusiasts. This park is the most visited national park in entire Asia continent. Every year, nearly 2 million tourists give a visit to this park. Lots of people give a visit to the park on the public holidays so you better avoid this park on a holiday! A visit during the monsoon to the park is a pleasant experience. It is among the best wildlife sanctuaries in Maharashtra.
Animals & Wildlife
Forest cover of the park is very dense till Thane that serves as a home to various wildlife species.
Animals: Animals such as Tigers, Leopards, Boars, Monkeys & Deer live in this park. Tigers & Leopards are the major attractions of the park. If you are lucky then you may spot them roaming on the roads and pathways inside the Borivali national park Mumbai.
Birds: You can spot various birds like Kingfishers, Jungle owlets, Papiha, Bhardwaj, Drongo, Bulbul & The Golden Oriole. Migratory birds like flamingo’s visit the lakes inside the national park during the winter season. October to April is the best time to spot birds inside the park. You can even spot butterflies between August to November.
Trees: Trees like Bamboo, Ironwood, Mango, Pangara, Teak and many other are present in the sanctuary.[caption id="attachment_1192" align="aligncenter" width="400"] Barking Deer![/caption]
Borivali national park Mumbai is mentioned in history very long ago in the 4th century BC. There was a 45 km long land route connecting Sopara port and Kalyan port through this jungle. Earlier the name of this park was ‘Krishnagirir National Park’. The size of the park was only 20.26 km2 during British Era.
However, the current size of the national park was extended in 1969. Krishnagiri National Park was established in 1974 and later renamed as ‘Borivali National Park’. Again in 1981, it was given a name as ‘Sanjay Gandhi National Park’ (Sanjay Gandhi was a son of Indira Gandhi-Ex Prime Minister of India).[caption id="attachment_1190" align="aligncenter" width="533"] Beautiful water stream![/caption]
- Tiger Safari: Authorities give the facility of Tiger safari within the park. They have caged vehicles which will take you around the protected area where Tigers are allowed to roam freely. Safari charges are Rs.58/Adult and Rs.23/Child.
- Mini Train: Park authorities carry out mini train visits inside the Borivali national park Mumbai. This train takes you on a safari of the park that costs Rs.37/Adult and Rs. 14/Child.
- Kanheri Caves: These are popular rock cut caves in the center of the park. Kanheri caves served as the meditation center for Buddhist monks during 9th and the 1st centuries BCE. Caves lie amidst the magnificent natural surroundings. You can get great panoramic views of the Arabian sea from this spot!
- Tulsi Lake: Tulsi lake is picturesque within the park having a log hut. You can see various birds around this lake. The Kingfisher skimming over the lake water to catch his food is a delight to watch!
- Trekking: A large number of trekking routes are present inside this national park. Ashok Van, Gaumukh Trail, Shilonda Trail, Yeoor Trail & Malad Trail are the common trekking routes among hikers. The View Point route guides you to the highest point of the park which gives splendid views of Mumbai city, Tulsi lake, Vihar lake and Powai lakes.
- Boating: Tourists can enjoy boating inside the park. Charges for boating are Rs.88 for 4 seater and Rs.44 for 2 seaters.
IMPORTANT TOURIST INFORMATION
Borivali national park Mumbai remains open on all days of the week except Monday. Tourists can visit this park between 07:30 am to 06:30 pm.
Time Required: 3 to 4 hours are good to see main spots in the national park.
Contact Telephone: +91-22-28866449
How To Reach
As the park lies near to the Mumbai city, tourists can easily reach here by means of city transport. You can catch black & yellow taxies or internet cabs from any part of the city till the Borivali national park Mumbai. Please note that private vehicles are not allowed to enter inside the park.
- Nearest Railway Station: Borivali station on western railway route is the nearest railhead to reach Borivali national park Mumbai. It is the most convenient way to reach Sanjay Gandhi national park. The distance between station and park is just about 2 km.
- Nearest Airport: Mumbai CSIA is the closest airport to this national park.
Restaurants / Eating Stuff: There are few small eateries near an entrance of the park. However, it is a good option to have food somewhere near the railway station. There are a lot of lot of eateries and restaurants in Borivali.
Humble Request: Please do not carry any plastic material (like chips packet, farsan packet, plastic bags etc.) inside the park. Be a responsible person and help to maintain the natural habitat of wildlife.
Staying Options / Accommodation
Generally, 1 day is enough to explore the park quickly. But exploring the Borivali national park Mumbai may take more than one day. So many hotels are available in Mumbai for accommodation purpose.
- Tourists can also stay inside the park. There are 4 forest rest houses and 2 camp sheds within the park. You can book them between10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Kanheri Caves
- Global Vipassana Pagoda
- Essel World
- Film City
- Aksa Beach
- Gorai Beach
- Marve-Manori Beach
- Water Kingdom
- Aarey Colony
Map To Reach:
Borivali national park Mumbai has maintained a nice natural habitat in spite of nearby urban area. However, in few parts of the park, illegal construction is taking place. It is our responsibility to keep this park in pure natural condition and clean!