Chand Minar Daulatabad in Aurangabad is a 2nd tallest individual minaret in India. Built in pinkish colored bricks, it displays a splendid architectural style!
Best Time To Visit: You can visit Chand Minar daulatabad all year round. But July to February is the best time to visit this spot. Temperature remains pleasant & soothing during this time period. April to May is the hottest period of this region when a temperature rises up to 45°C.
Location: On Daulatabad Fort, 15 kms from Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India.
Time Required: You don’t have any access to reach at the top of this monument so it takes only 15-20 minutes to observe the architectural features of this tower. However, you can explore the Daulatabad (Devgiri) Fort which takes 2-3 hours.
Chand Minar Daulatabad Information
It is a beautiful high tower that stands in front of the historical Daulatabad fort near Aurangabad in Maharashtra. Daulatabad (Devgiri) Fort lies 15 km away from Aurangabad. This amazing structure was built in 1435 by Ala-ud-din Bahmani to celebrate his victory over this fort. The main function of this tower was to keep an eye on the surrounding region. Announcing the time of the prayer was also a function of this minaret.
This minaret is constructed Turkish style and exhibits a beautiful example of Islamic art. The architectural features of this tower are similar to that of the Qutub Minar in Delhi. However, the size of Chand Minar daulatabad is small as compared to the Qutub Minar. Even other architectures around the minaret resemble the beauty of Turkish-Islamic type of architecture. It is among the best tourist attractions in Aurangabad.
The height of the tower is 30 meter (210 feet) and 70 feet in girth at the base. Whereas the height of Qutub Minar is 234 feet and it is also the tallest individual tower in the world. Beautiful Persian blue tiles cover the walls of the tower. Chand Minar Daulatabad is divided into 4 stories. It has total 24 chambers and a small mosque at its base. This minaret is one of the most visited monuments in Maharashtra.
There is the flight of total 100 steps helical stairs which lead to the Baradari (palace of the queen) at the closing stage of the tunnel within the citadel. After every floor, a circular balcony is present. The baradari was the palace of Yadavi Queen and then Shahjahan. There is one cannon at the top with a ram’s head.
Places To See Near Chand Minar Daulatabad
Now the Minar is of red brick color & can be spotted from long distances. Major attractions nearby Minar are decorative gates, a drawbridge, Sunheri Mahal, Purwar Museum, Daulathabada and Chini Mahal.
- Daulatabad Fort: Said to be among the safest forts in Maharashtra. Probably the only fort in Maharashtra, with which history of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj is not associated. The defense of the fort is so strong that nobody was able to win this fort via fare war!
- Chini Mahal: It was a beautiful palace near the Chand Minar daulatabad. Chini Mahal was the place where Abdul Hasan Tana Shah, the last King of Golconda, was imprisoned in 1687 for 13 years.
- Hatti Houd (Elephant Tank): There is a big tank made of stone masonary nearby the fort. This was the place for cleaning & resting of royal Elephants. Earlier, this tank served as a main source of water to the fort. 2 huge pipes made of terracotta are also there through which water was taken to gardens and other necessary locations.
- Bronze Cannon: You can also see a 6.6-meter-long bronze metal cannon called Killa Shikan (Fort Breaker) on the Daulatabad fort. Persian inscription saying “creator of storms” is there near the end of the cannon.
- Light Show: Now arrangement of sound and Light show is also done over here for the entertainment of the tourists. This is a must visit place in Aurangabad!
- Nagarkhana: Nagarkhana is the place on the other of the Chand Minar Daulatabad.
- Jama Masjid: It is a very interesting structure near minaret. There are 106 stone columns in Jama masjid. The masjid was built by a Khilji ruler -Qutubuddin Mubarak in 1318. However, that structure now hosts a temple of Bharat Mata.
ESSENTIAL TOURIST INFORMATION
How To Reach Chand Minar daulatabad
Aurangabad is nicely connected by road, rail & air with the important tourist cities in Maharashtra. City transportation like local buses, taxies and auto-rickshaws are also easily available to reach the fort. Daulatabad fort is one of the tourist spots of MTDC trip from Aurangabad to Ellora Caves.
- Nearest Railway Station: 2 trains run daily between Mumbai to Aurangabad-Tapovan express (in the morning) and the Devnagri express (overnight train). Aurangabad has good connectivity to other major cities by rail. You can reach Chand Minar daulatabad by taking private vehicles like Taxies or MTDC Tour bus from Aurangabad!
- Nearest Airport: Aurangabad airport situated at 10 kms from Daulatabad. Aurangabad airport has good connectivity to Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi, Jaipur & Udaipur.
Timings: Everyday 09:00 am to 05:30 pm or Sunset whichever is earlier.
Ticket Charges: Rs. 10/- per person for Indian Tourists and Rs.100/- per person for foreign tourists.
Eating Stuff: It is advisable to have your food in Aurangabad only. There are plenty of eateries in Aurangabad, so having food is never a problem. But there is no restaurant nearby Chand Minar Daulatabad.
There are lots of good hotels in Aurangabad fitting to all budgets. Some of the good hotels are MTDC Holiday Resort, Lemon Tree Hotel, Hotel Shrimaya, Hotel Atithi and some luxury hotels nearby the Chikkhalthana airport. You can book MTDC (Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation) Hotel at this link.
Nearby Tourist Places:
- Daulatabad Fort
- Bibi ka Maqbara
- Ajanta Caves
- Ellora Caves
- Aurangabad Caves
- Powered Paragliding Joyrides
Map To Reach:
Chand Minar Daulatabad in Aurangabad is a nice spot for architecture lovers. You can observe many designs and structures nearby the minaret and Daulatabad Fort!