Jawahar hill station in Maharashtra is a nice spot amidst the tribal region of Maharashtra. Tribal people of Jawahar whole heartedly welcome all tourists!
Elevation/Height: 518 meters above MSL.
Best Time To Visit: All year round, but the ideal time to visit this hill station is July to February.
Location: 80 kms from Nashik & 121 kms from Mumbai, Palghar district, Maharashtra (India).
Jawahar Hill Station in Maharashtra Information
Being home to one of the rare tribal parts of Maharashtra, Jawhar is among the less explored places in Maharashtra. Even today, tribal communities like Warli, Kolcha and Kukana stay in this region. In spite of having tribal people, a lot of tourists visit this hill station every year. This hill station has dense green forests, exotic valleys & pleasant weather all year round. Jawahar hill station in Maharashtra is located at the height of 518 meters from mean sea level. Earlier it was popularly also called as a ‘Mahabaleshwar of Thane district’ but now this place comes under the newly formed district of Palghar.
Cultural heritage, pleasant climate and scenic beauty of Jawhar have started pulling a lot of tourists to this spot. It is covered by full of thick forest and plenty of fresh air because of which this spot remains pleasant throughout the year. During monsoon, many tourists visit this place to see the splendid lush greenery and splashing waterfalls. It offers the different type of enjoyment & experience comparing to other hill stations in Maharashtra. Jawahar hill station in Maharashtra offers you a tranquil and refreshing break from busy life schedules.
Places To See in Jawhar
There are many attractions & waterfalls to see nearby Jawahar. Some of the must seeing & popular sites here are:
- The palace of the tribal kings
- The majestic Dadara Kopra Falls
- Sunset Point
- Dabhosa waterfall
- The Hanuman Point
- The Shirpamal
- Bhopatgad Fort
- Khad-Khad Dam
- Dadarkopra waterfall
- Kal Mandavi Waterfall
- Jai Vilas Palace.
- Trekking: Tourist can even do trekking along the hills and waterfalls of Jawahar hill station in Maharashtra.
Jawhar is also famous for its beautiful art of Warli paintings. These paintings are the undivided part of Maharashtra’s culture. Warli tribal people used to decorate their huts with the help of rice paste. The subject of warli paintings is mostly the description of life events of villagers. Nowadays, artists draw warli paintings on paper and canvas with the help of modern colours. Tourists can buy various warli paintings from the tribal villagers of Jawahar hill station in Maharashtra.
Jawahar was formed in 1306 by the Munke dynasty. The king of Maratha kingdom, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj stayed in Jawahar while proceeding towards the Surat. Jawhar was under the Mumbai Presidency during British rule.[caption id="attachment_943" align="aligncenter" width="400"] Warli designs on wood![/caption]
ESSENTIAL TOURIST INFORMATION
How To Reach Jawahar
One can reach Jawahar Hill Station in Maharashtra by ST buses or private vehicles. It has good connectivity by road to major cities in Maharashtra like Mumbai, & Nashik. ST buses ply regularly to Jawahar from various cities of Maharashtra. MSRTC buses ply regularly from Mumbai, Pune, Nashik & Dahanu to Jawhar. If you take a private cab from Mumbai, then it costs around Rs.2500 for the distance of 121 km.
- Route From Mumbai: Take Mumbai-Agra Highway till Bhiwandi-Kalyan Bypass then enter into Bhiwandi city and proceed via Kawad – Ambadi – Wada – Sakhare – Jawahar. This route is 121 km long. You can also proceed from Vasai or Aasangaon route.
- Route From Nashik: Take NH848 from Nashik and proceed via Satpur gaon – Mahiravani – Trimbak – Kumbh Camp – Aamboli – Jawahar Trimbak Ghat – Jawahar. This route is 80 km long.
- Nearest Railway Station: Igatpuri is the closest railhead to reach Jawahar which is 61 km away. However, Nashik road railway station (80 km) is the convenient station to reach Jawahar hill station in Maharashtra. Dahanu station (65 km) is one more option. You can catch private taxies or Buses from the station.
- Nearest Airport: Nashik airport is the nearest airport to reach Jawahar. It is 80 km away from the Jawhar hill station. Mumbai airport is the convenient airport which is 121 km away.
Hotels & Resorts
There are few small resorts & hotels at Jawahar hill station in Maharashtra. Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) also has its own resort facilities in Jawahar. You can also enjoy the traditional accommodation of the local people by opting for the home stay facility. For booking or checking room availability of MTDC room visit this link.
Eating Stuff: There are no big restaurants in Jawhar but you can enjoy the delicious local cuisine of the tribal community. Some small resorts & hotel provide nice regular as well as tribal food. KeliCha Pada is a great place to try tribal food items.
Map To Reach:
Jawahar hill station in Maharashtra is a good place for short vacation nearby Mumbai & Nashik cities. Apart from enjoying nature, you can also explore tribal people and their lifestyle by visiting this place.