Lonavala hill station has many sightseeing places to visit which makes it the best weekend gateways nearby Mumbai & Pune. Get all detailed information about Lonavala in this article.
LOCATION: Lonavala Hills, On the Mumbai-Pune highway, 100 Kms South-West to Mumbai(NH-4), Maharashtra.
LONAVALA HILL STATION INFORMATION:
Lonavala is one of the most famous hill stations in Maharashtra as well as in India. It is located on the Mumbai–Pune–Banglore Express Highway (NH-4). Lonavala is located at a height of 622 meters above sea level. Lonavala is a perfect weekend destination for tourists of Mumbai & Pune. Lonavala hill station is easily accessible from both Pune & Mumbai which drags huge crowd of these cities throughout the year. Lonavala is situated hardly at 3 hours drive from Mumbai (104 kms) & even closer to Pune (66 kms). There are many beautiful & adventurous sightseeing spots to visit around this hill station.[caption id="attachment_369" align="aligncenter" width="750"] View From Dukes Nose![/caption]
Lonavala is blessed with breath-taking valleys, hills, lush greenery, waterfalls & pleasant cool atmosphere. Lonavala is full of natural beauty. It is a gorgeous hill station nestled in Sahyadri mountain range. There are a number of attractions around the Lonavala that can be explored on the short tour of 2-3 days. Lonavala is famous for its sweet Chikki. This hill station is spread over an area of 38 sq.kms. The name of the city is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Lonavali’, which means a ‘Group of Caves’. As there are many caves in and around the Lonavala hill station region (like Bhaja caves & Karla caves) this name was given to the city.
Places To Visit in Lonavala:
Due to its mountainous location, Lonavala hill station is the perfect destination for trekkers & adventure seekers. A vast number of hikers & adventure loves visits Lonavala every year. Lonavala Sightseeing places include spots like Rajmachi Fort, Duke’s nose, Tiger’s Leap, Tung Fort, Lohagad fort, Tikona Fort, Visapur Fort, Rajmachi Wildlife Sanctuary and Korigad Fort offers best trekking opportunities to explore the beauty of nature. (Category wise places are given at the end of this article)
It gives you a great natural experience as the place has less pollution. It is an awesome place to visit for a group of friends and families. Most of the places are within reach as they are not so far from each other. Thousands of tourists visit these two places all year round. There are many trekking spots near Lonavala & trekking is a good option to explore Lonavala. Having a vehicle to get around is a better option. Lonavala hill station is an ideal place for relaxation & to get peace of mind. It is a good weekend holiday option to get rid of stress & hectic schedule!
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Lonavala remains cool & pleasant all year round. But if you want to experience how heaven looks then visit Lonavala during monsoon season!!
HOW TO REACH: Mumbai-Pune expressway takes you to the Lonavala within 2 hours from Mumbai or Pune. You can reach Lonavala hill station by Personal or hired vehicles, ST Buses and trains are also available from all major cities. Travelling between Mumbai & Pune is never a problem as transportations take place 24*7 via this route.
- NEAREST RAILWAY STATION: Lonavala has railway station which is well connected to Mumbai, Pune & other important cities in Maharashtra & India.
- NEAREST AIRPORT: Pune Airport (70 Kms) & Mumbai Airport (110 Kms) are the closest airports to Lonavala hill station. Taxi’s and Radio Cabs (like Ola, Uber, TabCab) are easily available from the airport to Lonavala.
HOTELS IN LONAVALA:
- There are many luxury, semi-luxury and budget hotels available in Lonavala. You can also find a lot of resorts, family villa’s & apartments for accommodation in Lonavala.
- The Dukes Retreat, Retreat heritage, Hotel Adarsh, Hotel The Metropole, The Lagoona Resort, Sahil Sarovar Portico, Fariyas Resort Lonavala & Della Resorts some popular hotels & resorts in Lonavala.
- Even Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) has its own resorts in Karla (12 kms from Lonavala). For booking please visit MTDC Resort Booking.
- Lonavala hill station has the variety of hotels which serves amazing Indian & International cuisines.
- Numerous restaurants fitting to all budgets are present in Lonavala.
- Also, do not forget to try different types of Lonavala Chikki’s. Maganlal Chikki is the most famous brand of Chikki in Lonavala. You can try various delicious flavours of Chikki like Peanut Chikki, Coconut Chikki, Cashew Chikki, Crush Chikki & DryFruit Chikki.
- Khandala Hill Station
- Celebrity Wax Museum,
- Forts: Rajmachi Fort, Duke’s nose, Tiger’s Leap, Lohagad fort, Tikona Fort, Visapur Fort, Korigad Fort, Tung Fort,
- Caves: Karla Caves, Bhaja caves, Bedse Caves.
- Other: Della Adventure Park, Bhushi dam, Lonavala Lake, Ryewood Park & Rajmachi Wildlife Sanctuary.
Map To Reach:
Khandala hill station is a twin of Lonavala hill station. Both are located in the neighbourhood of each other. Have you been there to Lonavala or Khandala?? Share your experience with us :)