Malvan Marine Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the marine sanctuaries in India. This sanctuary is a home to a lot of flora & fauna species. The region of Malvan marine sanctuary is very calm & beautiful. Lets see detailed information about this spot!
Location: Malvan marine national park, Malvan Taluka, About 35 kms from the Mumbai-Goa NH-17, Sindhudurg district, Maharashtra, India.
Malvan Marine Wildlife Sanctuary Information:
The Malvan Marine Wildlife Sanctuary is the only marine sanctuary in Maharashtra located in the Konkan region. Malvan marine sanctuary is also among only a few marine sanctuaries in India. Malvan coastal region is one of the biologically richest coastal regions in India. The sanctuary is very rich in coral and marine life. This region was announced as a Marine Sanctuary on 13th April 1987. The malvan coast offers an amazing opportunity to explore the marine life habitat!
Malvan marine sanctuary has a core zone of 3.18 sq.kms and buffer zone of 25.94 sq.kms. This makes the total area equal to 29.122 sq.kms. The vast species of flora and fauna are found in the malvan marine wildlife sanctuary region. Sea anemones, Pearl Oysters, Mollusks, Polychaetes, Seaweed, Mangroves and Corals have their major habitat in here. The various photos in this post shows some of the flora & fauna species.
There are more than 30 species and sub-species of fish living in the various water bodies inside the malvan marine sanctuary. Some of the main commercial varieties of the fish inhabiting the sanctuary are the Labeo Rohita, Labeo Dero (Gid), Labeo Calbasu, Tor Putitora (Mahasir) & Mystus Seenghala (Singhada). Many tourists enjoy Scuba Diving in this region due to rich flora & fauna species!
Geographical Region of Malvan Marine Sanctuary
The core zone of malvan marine wildlife sanctuary includes the area of Sindhudurg Fort (Built by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj), Padamged island and some underwater rocky areas. The border of the buffer zone includes the region of the seashore near Malvan port (North-East Border), a semi-circular sandy beach parallel to the Malvan coast (East Border), Mandel rock (South Border) and the Malvan rock (West Border). The north-east boundary of the buffer zone is only 50 m away from the Malvan port.
Flora and Fauna Details
Various flora (plant) species found in Malvan Marine Sanctuary are:
- Coral Species
- Mangroves Vegetation
- Terrestrial region nearby sanctuary has various tree species like Terminalia Spp, Ficus sSp, Bija (Pterocarpus marsupium), Kate sawar (Bombax ceiba),
- Teak (Tectona Grandis), Dhawada (Anogeissus Latifolia), Kalam (Mitragyna Parviflora), Ain (Terminalia Tomentosa), Shirish (Albizia Lebbeck), Mango (Mangifera Indica), Acacia Ssp.
- Kadamba (Anthocephalus Cadamba), Awala (Emblica Officinalis), Neem (Azardirecta Indica), Palas (Butea Monosperma), Shisam (Dalbergia Latifolia), Moha, Acacia Spp, Hedu (Haldina Cordifolia), Jamun (Syzigium Cumini).
- And Much More.
Various fauna(animal) species found in the Malvan Marine Wildlife Sanctuary are:
- Mollusks (Snail-like creature)
- Pearl Oysters (The one from which we get “Moti”)
- Polychaetes (Earthworm Like Specie)
- casuarinas plantations.
- Sea Anemones
- Commercial fish species like Labeo-Calbasu, Labeo-Rohita, Mystus seenghala (Singhada) and Tor Putitora (Mahsir), Labeo-Dero (Gid).
- Birds like Seagulls, Water Fowl, Plovers, Ducks, Egrets (Bagala in Marathi) & Terns are spotted in Malvan marine sanctuary region.
- Siberian migratory birds also flock here during the winter season.
- The terrestrial region nearby malvan marine wildlife sanctuary has various wild animals like Leopards, Wild Boars, Nilgai, Barking Deer, Sambars & much more.
Sanctuary Area: It total area of 29.122 sq.kms (Core zone of 3.18 sq.kms and Buffer zone of 25.94 sq.kms.)
Best Time To Visit: You can visit malvan marine wildlife sanctuary during any time of the year. It is basically a big sea region having no particular entry or exit point. The northeastern boundary of the main buffer zone is a hardly 50 m away from the Malvan port. After reaching any of the boundaries of geographical region mentioned above, you can hire the boat to explore the deep sea!
How to Reach:
- By Road: State Transport & tourist buses are frequently available from Mumbai (450 kms), Pune (400 kms), Panaji (130 kms) and other major cities in Maharashtra. Malvan is well connected to all these cities by good road network.
- Nearest Railway Station: Kudal is the nearest station on Konkan Railways. The distance between the sanctuary and railway station is about 28 kms.
- Nearest Airport: Goa airport is the closest airport to Malvan Marine Sanctuary. The distance between Airport & Malvan Sanctuary is about 145 kms.
- By Boat: Private boats are available at reasonable cost from Malvan jetty. You can take a boat for yourself and explore the area according to your wish. Dolphins are generally spotted inside the deep sea of Malvan. You can easily spot the dolphin near Vengurla Beach region.
Eating Stuff: Malvan has a large number of restaurants serving delicious food. Mouth-watering seafood & non-veg food is very popular in Malvan. You can find various hotels nearby beaches that provide good food. Local people also offer the variety of homemade food to tourists at very less price. These local Konkani food dishes are worth trying!
Accommodation: The Malvan Marine Wildlife Sanctuary has its own Rest House. Various private lodges & Hotels are also available at Malvan. MTDC Accommodation is also available in Tarkarli. You can check the availability of MTDC Resort rooms at this link.[caption id="attachment_353" align="aligncenter" width="750"] Fish Species![/caption]
Nearby Attractions: Sindhdurg fort, Tarakali Beach, Vengurla Beach and Golden sand beaches of Tondavali.
Map To Reach There:
If you have any doubts or opinions about Malvan Marine Sanctuary then please feel free to drop a comment below!