Mandwa beach in Alibaug is a secluded beach situated close to Mumbai. Due to its isolated nature, this beach has retained its charm nicely!
Best Time To Visit: You can visit this beach throughout the year. October to March is the best time to visit this spot when surrounding environment remains soothing for travel.
Location Address: 18 km north to Alibaug, Maharashtra (India).
Mandwa Beach Information:
It is a beautiful and unpolluted beach 18 km north of Alibaug. This beach is easily accessible from Mumbai via ferry rides. It is a good spot to spend some time away from your busy lifestyle. It offers splendid scenic beauty and peace of mind. This beach is one of the must visit beaches in Alibaug region. The pair of Mandwa and Kihim beach offer a popular weekend gateway for tourists of Pune and Mumbai.
This beach is just 10 nautical miles away from Mumbai. You can easily see the amazing monument of Gateway of India on a clear sunny day. Mandwa beach has good sea coast and has dense vegetation of coconut trees around it. The beach has less crowd due to isolation from Alibaug beach. So has maintained its natural state quite well.[caption id="attachment_1574" align="aligncenter" width="600"] View of Mandwa jetty from beach![/caption]
Mandwa village is well known for its shooting in two movies – Agneepath (1990 featuring Amitabh Bachhan) and its remake Agneepath (2012 featuring Hrithik Roshan).
The presence of thick coconut trees near Mandwa beach coast adds more beauty to this location. The dense vegetation near beach provides good opportunities to nature lovers. There are various species of wild flowers, butterflies and birds inside this vegetation. Due to the habitat of different bird species, popular ornithologist and bird lover Dr. Salim Ali used to visit this spot frequently.
Though situated close to Mumbai, not many people know about this tranquil spot. In the night, you can observe glittering city lights of Mumbai from Mandwa beach. Observing these city lights calmly in the night gives you an unmatched experience! So it is among the top beaches to visit in Maharashtra.[caption id="attachment_1575" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Mesmerizing view in the evening![/caption]
©The Mumbai Vagabond
Mandwa is basically a simple fishing village that has got good natural beauty. You can get great views of the bay from the village coast. The beach is not really safe for the swimming due to a presence of rocks nearby the beach. Many big personalities from the different field have their farm houses in Mandwa region.
Places To Visit Near Mandwa
Along with the Mandwa beach, you can visit other attractions like Mandawa Jetty, Kihim Beach, Rewas Port, Alibaug Beach, Kashid Beach, Murud Fort, Colaba Fort, Awas Beach, Revdanda Beach, Shitladevi Temple, Nagaon Beach, Murud Palace Etc.
Tourists can even enjoy few water sports at this beach. The water sports club is situated just on the right side of the Mandwa jetty. You can book your rides well in advance. Due to its secluded and isolated nature, it offers a peaceful gateway from hustle and bustle of the city life. A lot of tourists give the visit to this beach during weekends.[caption id="attachment_1573" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Serenity in the evening![/caption]
This beach mainly came into highlight when the Mandwa jetty was formed to start ferry service between Mandwa and Mumbai. This sea travel route enables people to travel between Alibaug region and Mumbai in 1 hour. Whereas the travel by road requires more than 2 hours.
IMPORTANT TOURIST INFORMATION
How To Reach Mandwa Beach
- From Mumbai: Taking a ferry from Gateway of India ton Mandwa Jetty / Rewas port is the most convenient way to reach here. This distance is about 10 nautical miles. It hardly takes 1 hour to cover the distance between Gateway of India and Mandwa.
- State Transport buses ply regularly from Mumbai to Alibaug. You can get a private vehicle from Alibaug till the Mandwa. If you are driving a car, then follow this route: Mumbai – Pen – Wadkhal – Poynad – Rewas– Mandwa. The length of this route is about 100 km.
- From Pune: Take a Mumbai-Pune expressway till Khopoli. Then move towards Pen from Khopoli exit. The route will be Pune – Lonavala – Khopoli Exit – Pen – Wadkhal – Poynad – Rewas– Mandwa. This route is about 150 km long.
- Nearest Railway Station: Pen station on Konkan railway line is the nearest railhead to reach Mandwa beach. The distance between the station and beach is 38 km. Private vehicles are available outside the station to reach the destination.
- Nearest Airport: Mumbai airport is the closest air station to reach over here. Beach is 110 km away from the airport. You can catch taxis outside the airport to reach up to Mandwa.
- Nearest Sea Port: Mandwa jetty is the nearest ferry station to reach here. It is situated very close to the beach. Except for monsoons, there is regular ferry service between Mumbai to Mandwa.
- Eating Stuff: There are few nice restaurants nearby the coastline of Alibaug. You will get a delicious seafood as well as veg food in these restaurants!
Staying Options / Accommodation:
This beach is the ideal place for beach camping near Mumbai. Visitors can set up their tents on the beach. There is an MTDC resort nearby the beach for accommodation purpose. You can take tents on rent from that resort. Tents remain available for tourists all year round except during rainy months. A Large number of hotels, resorts and homestays are available in Alibaug also. You can choose any of them as per your requirement and budget.
- Kolaba Fort
- Alibaug Beach
- Chaul (having Buddhist caves, a church, and a Hamam Khana).
Map To Reach:[mapsmarker marker="147"]
Overall, Mandwa beach offers you plenty of things to enjoy like a great seashore, nice environment, serenity and fun activities!