Rajmachi fort trek is one of the most attractive things among hikers in Mumbai and Pune. As this fort is easily accessible from both of these cities, many people head here to execute Rajmachi trek. Read further to get complete guidance for trekking at this spot.
Rajmachi Fort Trek
Rajmachi trek is one of the popular trekking destinations among hikers & adventure lovers. A huge number of hikers visit rajmachi every year. The trekking level of Rajmachi is easy. Anyone can enjoy trekking at Rajmachi. As difficulty level of trekking is easy it takes 35-40 minutes to reach to the top of the fort.
It is a perfect spot for people who are preparing for their first trek. Walk to the Rajmachi is about 15 kms from Lonavala. The complete Rajmachi fort trek route is beautiful and ideal for all age groups. Apart from regular day trek, many enthusiastic hikers enjoy Rajmachi night trek.
The views from the top are simply magnificent. During the rainy season, the surrounding region presents even more beauty. You can get cool views of the Ulhas River Valley, Dukes Nose, Matheran, Bhimashankar. Karnala, Mahuli, Bhimashankar from the top. If you still have some energy left after Rajmachi trek, then you can visit Tungrali Lake & Kondane caves while descending!
This fort is a famous hill fort in Maharashtra. Rajmachi is a small village nestled amidst the Sahyadri mountain range. It is one of most popular tourist site situated in between Khandala and Lonavala. It is located about 20 kms from Lonavala town. Rajmachi fort trek is very famous among youngsters. Rajmachi is located on the two peaks namely Shrivardhan and Manaranjan. Shriwardhan is a taller peak to the right side of the hill. While Manaranjan is the shorter peak on another side. These both peaks are connected by narrow pass or khind (mountain pass = Khind in Marathi). This fort performed an essential role during the 1st Anglo-Maratha War.
The height of Shriwardhan peak is 910 metres. There is a fort situated on this peak known as Bale Killa. Rajmachi fort had great strategic importance. It played a vital role in order to keep an eye on Borghat region. Borghat region is the part between Khandala & Khopoli. Borghat was an important trade route in ancient times. So the fort was constructed to maintain control over Borghat & Konkan area around it. It has only a small rampart. Manaranjan is about 2700 feet high consisting of 3 doors. It has very massive ramparts. There are few water tanks present here. The construction of this fort was amazing.
The elevation of the fort is 2710 feet from sea level. One can get spectacular views of the Shirota dam backwaters & Sahyadri mountain range from top of the fort. There are ancient Buddhist and Hindu caves at the bottom of the fort. Caves are situated exactly beneath the mountain so rain water streams falling from the mountain has eroded cave surface. Some old temples and building structures are also there around the forest.
This Fort has been now declared as a protected monument site. Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) has started to carry out their work in order to make Rajmachi fort trek as popular tourist spot near Pune & Mumbai. There are many secret underground tunnels on the fort which leads to parapet wall of the fort. Some rock-cut caves are situated at the base of Manaranjan peak.
This fort is among the best forts in Maharashtra for camping. Rajmachi fort trek offers camping opportunities along with trekking. Hikers can stay in caves atop the fort or in Kalbhairavnath Temple at the base of the fort. You can carry tents (as Rajmachi trek route is not much tough) for the more amazing experience. About 35-40 persons can stay in the caves at the top of the fort.
If you are planning to stay at the fort, then try to carry some firewood along with you. It is advisable to carry a bunch of old newspapers as they burn easily in moisture too.
BASIC TOURIST INFORMATION
Best Time to Visit: June to March is the best time to visit Rajmachi fort, Lonavala. A lot of people perform Rajmachi night trek which can be done throughout the year.
Location: Udhewadi (Rajmachi) Village, Near Khandala Ghat, On the Mumbai-Pune highway, Maharashtra.
How to reach: Mumbai-Pune highway is one of the busiest roads in India. So you can easily reach Rajmachi fort. Khandala is at one & half hours from Mumbai.
- Nearest Railway Station: Lonavala is the nearest rail head located at a distance of 18 kms from Rajmachi. One can hire taxi or jeep like sumo from the station up to the base village. The rough road is present up to the base village Udhewadi.
- Nearest Airport: Pune Airport & Mumbai Airport are the 2 major airports located at 85 kms & 102 kms respectively.
Rajmachi trek routes
- Rajmachi Trek From Karjat: Hikers can start their trek from Kondivade village near Karjat. Kondivade is located at 18 kms from Karjat station. Auto-rickshaws are available from the station up to Kondivade village. This Rajmachi fort trek route is difficult and for experienced trekkers only. It has about 2000 feet climb.
- Rajmachi Trek From Lonavala: Easy Rajmachi trek route starts from Lonavala. It is about 15 kms walk route from Lonavala town. This route displays splendid natural beauty in the rainy season. Hikers can enjoy lush green surroundings, splashing waterfalls & find themselves amidst the clouds!!
- Going from Pune towards Lonavala, take a diversion just before Khandala Ghat. This diversion will lead you to the Kune village. Now from Kune, you will find a rough road to reach up to base village Udhewadi (or Rajmachi). All different rajmachi fort trek routes eventually meet at the Udhewadi village. You can start climbing fort from this beautiful village. This Rajmachi trek route has a mountain on one side & valley on another side. Exciting huh?! ;)
Eating Stuff: Carry your own food & sufficient water along with you. Local villages do provide delicious food like Chicken, Chutney & Bhakri (Rice Roti) on request.
Accommodation: With the villagers of Udhewadi, Caves at the top of the fort or Kalbhairav temple at Udhewadi village. Local people provide home accommodation on request.
Attractions Nearby Rajmachi Fort:
- Lonavala Wax Museum
- Bhushi Dam
- Duke’s Nose
- Ryewood Park
Any questions?? Feel free to ask in the following comment box. We are always there :)
Subscribe our email feeds for free updates through email!