Shivneri fort in Pune is a legendary place where the great king-Shivaji Maharaj was born. This fort is among important historical forts in Pune. In this article, we will see images, information and history about Shivneri.
Location: 3 kms from Junnar, About 90 kms from Pune city centre, Maharashtra.
Shivneri Fort Information
Shivneri is the birthplace of the great king of Maratha empire – The Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Bhosale. Shivaji Maharaj was born on this fort in 1630 AD. This is the place where Shivaji Maharaj spent his most of the childhood. At this fort, he learned the qualities of great king and tactics required to build the empire. He was greatly influenced by the teachings of his mother-Jijabai. Shivneri has become a sacred place by the presence of Shivaji Maharaj. The fort is located at 3 kms from Junnar.
- Altitude of a shivneri fort is 1067m (about 3500 feets) above Mean Sea Level and is located amidst the great Sahyadri Mountain Range.
- The shape of the fort is triangular & tapers to the one side. The fort is wide at the south end and narrow at the north side. The Northern side of the fort is called as Kadelot.
- The fort is surrounded by other forts like Harishchandragad, Narayangad, Hadsar, Bhairavgad, Jumnar, Chavand Jivadhan and other on its all sides. A map showing the location of almost all small and large forts of Maharashtra has been displayed at the Shivneri.
Things to see
- There are lots of worth watching places on Shivneri. The Shivneri has total 7 doors Maha darwaja, Peer darwaja, Phatak darwaja, Parvangicha darwaja, Hatti darwaja, Kulambkat darwaja and Shipai darwaja.
- Birth-Home: The home where Shivaji Maharaj was born has been recently re-established.
- Statues: Statues Jijabaai and Little Shivaji at the south end of the fort.
- Shivai Temple: There is a temple of Shree Shivai Devi at the fort. The name of Shivaji Maharaj was kept after Shivai Devi Goddess.
- Badami Talao(Lake): Lake called Badami Talav is situated at the north side of the fort.
- Ancient Caves: Fort also has some underground Buddhist caves dating back to the first three centuries AD.
- It gives an amazing feeling of proud that you are at the place where one of India’s greatest kings was born.
- Water Reservoirs: The fort has several rock-cut water tanks. Ganga and Yamuna are large water tanks among them.
- Mughal Mosque: A mosque of the Mughal period is also present on the fort.
The hill on which Shivneri fort is built is known as Shivneri hill. This hill was built long period back by Satavahana Dynasty Kings. Various dynasties like Satavahana’s, Shilahara’s, Yadava’s, the Bahamani’s, Mughal’s and Maratha’s ruled this fort. The fort was granted to Maloji Bhosale (Grandfather of Shivaji Maharaj) in 1599 AD. This fort was surrendered to the Mughals and could not take it back in the entire lifetime of Maharaj. After the long period in 1716, the fort was won by Shahu Maharaj. Nowadays, the structures on the fort are in ruins. Only some broken parts of the buildings can be seen.
Now lets see Shivneri fort information for tourists. Every year, a large number of travel enthusiastic & adventure lovers gives a visit to this fort. This is among popular places to visit near Pune. Trekking at Shivneri is popular among hikers.
There are two routes to reach the top of the fort. You can either go through comfortable stone steps otherwise, there is also a rough trekking path. Dams of Yedgaon, Vadaj, Dimbhe, Pimpalgaon and Manikdoh are located around Shivneri. One can get magnificent panoramic views of the surrounding region from the top of the fort.
Best Time to Visit: August to February is the ideal time to visit this fort. The environment remains pleasant & greener during this time period.
How To Reach: Pune is the major location from which one can reach Shivneri fort.
-By Road: Distance between Pune city & Shivneri is about 90 kms. ST and private services regularly ply between Pune and various major cities of India like Mumbai, Kolhapur, Hyderabad and Goa. One can catch a bus going via a route of Junnar. One can catch taxies, radio cabs or other hired vehicles from Pune up to the fort.
-Nearest Railway Station: Pune Railway station is the nearest station near Shivneri. Pune is well connected by trains to Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Delhi, Chennai and many more cities. You can catch radio cab, bus or taxi from the station to reach the fort.
-Nearest Airport: Pune-Lohegaon Airport is the nearest airport to reach Shivneri fort.
Eating Stuff: Carry your own food and sufficient water to the fort. Though some food options are available nearby fort but it is advisable to carry your own food.
Stay: You can stay at Junnar or else in Pune. Pune has a wide range of hotels fitting to all budgets.
Map To Reach:
Hope you like this article on Shivneri Fort Information. Please let us know if you like it or not. Your suggestions are always welcomed! :)