Ancient caves Chandrapur is a set of ancient Buddhist caves in Chandrapur district of Maharashtra. These caves are unexplored and unknown to most of the tourists.
Location: Chandrapur, Maharashtra (India).
Best Time To Visit: The weather of Chandrapur remain hot all year round. July to January is the best time to visit this spot as the weather remains quite pleasant during these months. Avoid traveling to Chandrapur during summer as temperature goes very high as it becomes difficult to travel outside.
Elevation/Formation: These caves were carved out in the mountain in the 8th Century.
Ancient caves Chandrapur Information
This is a group of total 9 Buddhist caves in the Chandrapur district of Maharashtra. These are ancient caves that date back to the 8th century. Just like other famous caves in Maharashtra, these caves were also used by Buddhist monks for their meditation and learning purpose. They lie near to the Nagpur and Tadoba Andhari Tiger Project.
The architecture of caves is such that they always remain cool throughout the year. You can see various Buddhist sculptures carved inside these caves. These caves give an insight into the history of Buddhism period. They are flanked by very few tourists. Actually, not many people know about ancient caves Chandrapur because of which they are neglected by the government. Due to this, the condition of caves is not so good and they need to be protected as soon as possible.
Chandrapur Caves Architecture
The main cave entrance is 2.5 feet wide and 5 feet long. This cave has big space inside it. Another pair of caves lies on the east side of a mountain at a height of 50 to 60 feet. Ancient caves Chandrapur were dug out in the mountain during the rule of Harshavardhan Gupta.
A stone column divides the entry to these both caves. Another 15 to 20 feet long cave is there on the south side that has a shape of Igloo. One other eye-catching structure is a booth like a shelter which is completely carved out in rock.
IMPORTANT TOURIST INFORMATION
Timings / Opening Hours
Anytime during daylight. They do not have any administrative person to keep watch on these caves.
Time Required: 2 hours are sufficient to see caves and surroundings properly.
Entry Fee / Ticket Charges: No entry charges are taken to see ancient caves Chandrapur.
Accommodation / Stating Options: Chandrapur has plenty of accommodation options for tourists. Various deluxe, semi-deluxe and budget hotels are available in Chandrapur. Even MTDC hotels are present in Chandrapur. You can check the availability of MTDC rooms at this link.
Restaurants Nearby/ Eating Stuff: There are no restaurants nearby these caves. So carry your own food and sufficient water along with you!
How To Reach Ancient Caves Chandrapur
Tourists can catch auto-rickshaws or private cars from main Chandrapur city to reach the caves.
- By Road: Chandrapur has nice connectivity to all major tourist cities in the Maharashtra. It is situated on the main railway as well as road routes. MSRTC (State Transport) and private buses ply regularly to Chandrapur from cities like Nagpur, Aurangabad, Amravati, Akola, Gondia, Shirdi, Yavatmaal, Jalgaon, Hyderabad etc.
- Nearest Railway Station: Chandrapur station is the nearest railhead to reach these caves. This station lies on the Delhi-Chennai route via Nagpur. You can catch auto-rickshaws outside the station to reach the caves.
- Nearest Airport: Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport in Nagpur is the closest airport to reach ancient caves Chandrapur. It receives flights from cities all over India like Mumbai, Pune, Goa, Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Srinagar, Kolkata, Delhi and Indore. The distance between airport and caves is about 153 km.
- Bhamragarh Wildlife Sanctuary
- Hemalkasa Lokbiradari Project
- Anandvan Ashram, Warora
- Gonda Raja Fort (Chandrapur Fort)
- Manikgarh Fort, Chandrapur
- Ballalpur Fort
- Junona Village, Chandrapur
Ancient caves Chandrapur promptly need steps towards its conservation and protection. We must protect our historical monuments from getting destroyed with the time.