Ganpatipule temple is a holy place located in Ratnagiri District of Maharashtra. This temple is located on the coast of beautiful Ganpatipule beach. Ganpatipule is famous for this Swayambhu Ganesh Temple as well as for its beautiful beaches. According to Ganpatipule temple history, Lord Ganesha (Ganpati) was annoyed by a remark and left his home then reached to Pule. So the town got its name as GanpatiPule. While some people believe that Ganpatipule got this name from the white sand (Pule in Marathi) from which the idol of Lord Ganesh was crafted.
Location: On the Konkan coast, 50 kms from Ratnagiri, Maharashtra.
Best Time To Visit: It is one of the most visited temples in Maharashtra. Hence, devotees can visit this temple all year round. You can visit Ganpatipule at any time of the year. It has cool & pleasant atmosphere throughout the year!
Ganpatipule Temple History
Temple of Lord Ganesha has the self-manifest (swayambhu) shrine of Lord Ganesh. This temple is unique because the idol of Ganpati faces in the west direction. The temple is said to be over 400 years old. Therefore, the temple was under the protection of various rulers like Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, Madhavrao Peshwe from time to time. It is one of the famous tourist attractions in Konkan region.
Ganpatipule temple history tells that an inner chamber of temple called Garbha Gruha is constructed by Shivaji Maharaj and the Sabhamandap which is built by Madhavrao Peshwe. Temple is situated in front of the small hill. Devotees take a pradakshina around the temple which is also around the hill itself. You can feel the serene & calm environment of the temple as well as its surrounding. You can get amazing panoramic images of Ganpatipule beach, Malgund, Kotawade, Tivari port and Varawade from a top of the hill.
Ganpatipule is also blessed with beautiful beaches. One can get amazed by the beauty of these white beaches. Ganpatipule beach is another popular tourist attraction of the town because of its spectacular beauty. Coast in front of the Ganpatipule temple has many coconut trees over its stretch. Ganpatipule was unknown until a few years ago, but now thousands of devotees give a visit to this lovely place.
Essential Tourist Information
How To Reach: To witness rich Ganpatipule temple history, ST or Tourist buses regularly ply to Ganpatipule from almost all major cities in Maharashtra. Mumbai to Ganpatipule distance is 331 kms (via NH-66) while Pune to Ganpatipule distance is 300 kms (via NH-66).
- Nearest Railway Station:Sindhudurg station (on Konkan railway) is the convenient railway station to reach Ganpatipule temple. There is also another railhead named-Karbude. But only passenger trains stop at Karbude. Therefore, travelling from Sindhudurg is more convenient.
- Nearest Airport: Ratnagiri Airport, Mumbai Airport and Kolhapur Airport (144 kms) are closest airports to reach Ganpatipule.
Ganpatipule temple timing: Everyday 06:00 am to 09:00 pm.
Eating Stuff: One can try the variety of food items in Ganpatipule because various restaurants in ganpatipule serve delicious veg and non-veg food. Food lovers can enjoy mouth-watering seafood, Kokam curry, fish curry, Modak, Alphonso mangoes, Sabudana khichdi and many more items. Even Aambapoli (crispy wafers of mango pulp) and Phanaspoli (crispy wafers of crushed jackfruit pulp) of Ganpatipule are famous.
Ganpatipule beach, Ganpatipule Backwaters, Aare-Ware Beach.
- Ganpatipule Beach: Ganpatipule beach is a major tourist attraction in the town along with Ganpatipule temple. This beach is a gorgeous white sand beach on the Konkan coast in Maharashtra. It offers a serene & ideal weekend gateway destination in Konkan region. So, it is one of the famous tourist attractions in Konkan region.
- Ganpatipule Backwaters: Tourists can enjoy many facilities in Ganpatipule. The backwaters of Ganpatipule is a must visit spot. Adventure lovers can enjoy various water sports in Ganpatipule Backwaters. Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) offers various water sport and boating facilities in the Ganpatipule backwaters.
- Velneshwar: Velneshwar is a scenic village in the Konkan. It is located north of the Shastri River. Velneshwar is a very serene spot having the beautiful beach. This village has a very old temple of Lord Shiva. The shrine of this temple was found to local fisherman in his net while fishing.
- Lighthouse: The lighthouse near Jaigad in Ganpatipule is awesome. One can get magnificent views of the endless Arabian sea from the lighthouse. It was built in the year 1932. Try to visit the lighthouse in between 4.00 pm and 5.30 pm. The most noteworthy thing is this lighthouse is still operational!
Accommodation: There are many hotels and beach resorts in Ganpatipule. Furthermore, MTDC resort is also available in Ganpatipule. For checking the availability of MTDC resort rooms and online booking visit Maharashtra Tourism Bookings.
Ganpatipule Temple Map:
Do you have something to add in Ganpatipule temple history?? How was your experience at Ganpatipule? Do let us know via comments 🙂