Panchgani hill station is one of the most beautiful hill stations in Maharashtra. It lies at a whopping elevation of 1334 meters and has a lot of places to see. Paragliding at Panchgani hill station is also a well known among adventure seekers.
Location: On the Pune-Mahabaleshwar Highway, Satara District, Maharashtra.
Panchgani Hill Station Information
This is one of the most popular hill stations in Maharashtra. It is among favorite tourist destinations in Maharashtra due to its scenic surroundings and weather. Panchgani is blessed with amazing natural beauty as well as soothing climate. Panchgani is just 53 kms away from Satara and 98 kms away from Pune city. Rich with natural beauty, it is also popular as a honeymoon destination.
The elevation of Panchgani hill station is 1334 meters. So this elevation is just 38 meters below height of Mahabaleshwar. The eye pleasing beauty of this hill station is amazing so it attracts tourists throughout the year. Hill station has pleasant climate all year round. Due to these all these features, every year huge number of tourists give the visit to this place.
The beautiful hills of Panchgani hill station were discovered first in 1860. British Officer John Chesson first invented the location of these hills. It is basically nestled amidst 5 hills of Sahyadri mountain range. So because of 5 (Pach in Marathi) hills around it, this location got its name as- Panchgani. British officers used to visit this place during summer as a vacation resort.
Due to an influence of British, this hill station has several old British structures. Tourists can also see some Parsi houses and educational buildings nearby. Presently, more than 13000 people live in Panchgani. You can plan for nature walks through the thickly covered jungle.
Places To Visit
Following are the various places to visit in Panchgani:
- Krishna River Valley: Views of Krishna River running through hills & beautiful valleys are absolutely magnificent. Panchgani hill station is located far away from hustle & bustle of the city.
- Table Land: It is another popular place, which is 4550 meters height above MSL. Table Land is the second longest mountain plateau in Asia made of Laterite Rock.
- Devil’s Kitchen: There are also some spacious caves at Panchgani hill station. Out of those, Devil’s Kitchen is the famous cave lies on the southern side. It is believed that the Pandav stayed here for a while.
- Sydney Point: Sydney point is the spot from where one can get spectacular views of Krishna Valley. Along with Krishna valley, you can see the Pandavgad, Dhom Dam and Mandhardev from this point.
- Parsi Point: This spot is located on the way to the Mahabaleshwar. It is a good place to observe amazing views of Dhom Dam & Krishna valley region.
- Mapro Garden Outlet: It is situated on the road between Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar. Mapro Garden has its factory outlet near the highway. People can purchase freshly manufactured products of Mapro from here.
- Rajpuri Caves: These are 10 kms away from Panchgani hill station. There are 4 major caves at Rajpuri. Out of these, 3 caves are connected by underground tunnel.
- Dhom Dam: It is an amazing spot where tourists can enjoy various boating rides. Facilities of speed boats & scooter boats are available at Dhom Dam.
One can calmly enjoy the views of Krishna river taking zigzag turns through mountains, tiny villages, farms and narrow valleys. Panchagani usually doesn’t have too much crowd so everyone finds their own space and enjoys it. Tourists can purchase various items like fruits, jams, marmalades, handicrafts and footwear. This hill station gives you an unforgettable and amazing experience!
©Hamza sh Aziz
Panchgani hill station is also a popular destination for paragliding activities. A large number of people visit this place to enjoy the amazing experience of Paragliding. Many celebrities, as well as industry personnel, have their own homes over here. One can also visit Mahabaleshwar from Panchgani. The distance between these both hill stations is only 18 kms.
Some other attractions at this hill station are Kartikswami Temple at Rajapuri, Mandharodeo Kanga point, Pandav-Ghat and Kachhabavdi point. Tapola is also an enjoyable water sports center near the hill station.
Best Time to Visit: It has a pleasant weather all year round. September to May is the best time to visit this place. Panchgani offers a mind-blowing natural treat in monsoon months!
Elevation: 1334 meters.
Average Climate: The temperature falls up to 15 Degrees in Winter & rises up to 35 Degrees in Summer. So the temperature range remains suitable for all age groups. Panchgani hill station receives considerable rainfall in monsoon months.
How to Reach: This hill station lies on the way to Mahabaleshwar from Pune. So one can easily reach here via taxies, buses or personal vehicles. It has a good connectivity with all major cities in Maharashtra. MTDC ply a regular bus service between Pune & Mahabaleshwar.
Dhom Dam Boating!
- Nearest Rail Station: Vathar is the nearest railhead 62 kms away from Panchgani. However, Pune is the more convenient railhead which is 98 kms away.
- Nearest Airport: Pune-Lohegaon Airport is the closest airport to reach Panchgani hill station. The distance between Pune airport & this hill station is about 110 kms.
Eating Stuff: You will not get very high-quality cuisines at this location. However, one can taste the variety of mouth-watering local food dishes over here. Some of the popular food items are Kheema-Pav, Patis, Paav-Bhaji and Rose ice-cream.
Accommodation: Various resorts, bungalows, cottages, hotels and guest houses are available at hill station. MTDC also have accommodation facilities at Panchgani hill station. To check the availability of rooms at MTDC see this link.
Panchgani Map to Reach:
You can follow us on various social media platforms for more Images & Information!