Pench national park Maharashtra or Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru National Park is a popular tiger reserve as well as the sanctuary in Maharashtra. It lies exactly on the boundary of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh states of India.
Best Time To Visit: December to April is the best time to visit Pench national park Maharashtra. However, you can visit this park all year around. It becomes difficult to spot animals in the rainy season due to high bushes & vegetation.
Location: On the Nagpur-Jabalpur Highway, 65 kms North-East to Nagpur, Maharashtra.
Pench National Park Maharashtra Information
Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru National Park has located North-East of Nagpur city. This National Park falls under the Project Tiger Network for special reserves. Pench forest constitutes the core of the Tiger Reserves was notified in the year 1983. Pench national park in Maharashtra became the 19th Tiger Reserve of India in the year 1992. It is among the best national parks in Maharashtra. Pench wildlife sanctuary has spread over the area of 258 Sq.Kms. This national park has got the name from the Pench River, which flows from north to south through the park.
Pench river flows from Seoni and Chhindwara districts of Madhya Pradesh in the upper region and State boundary with Maharashtra in the lower region. Pench national park Maharashtra has well-equipped rest houses along with well-maintained roads. It is easy to see various animals & trees species in this national park. Just like Tadoba National park, this park is also very famous among tourists. Tourists can take safaris inside the park by Gypsy. Elephant rides were also available in the past. However, they are banned nowadays.
Flora & Fauna
As per the latest animal census, Pench national park Maharashtra have about 40 tigers in this park, 39 species of mammals, 285 species of birds, 13 species of reptiles and 3 species of amphibians.
- Animals: Animals like Tigers, Antelopes, barking deer, Leopards, panther, gaur, sambar, blue bull, macaque, languor, Bison, chital, wild boar, bear, wild dogs and civet cat live in this National Park.
- Flora: Flora species like Palas, Bamboo, Arjun, Semal, Baheda, Lendia, Aonla, Teak, Saja, Bija, Jamun, Kusum, Dhaora, Mahua, Tendu and Dhaman are found in this tiger reserve. In addition to this, various species of grasses and herbaceous flora are also found in this forest. The forest of Pench national park Maharashtra is majorly occupied by southern tropical dry deciduous flora species.
- Birds: Like Yawal wildlife sanctuary, varieties of birds have their homes in this national park also. Indian roller, blue kingfisher, peafowl, jungle fowl, red-vented bulbul, waterfowl, crow pheasant, crimson-breasted barbet, myna, racket-tailed drongo, minivet, oriole, wagtail, munia, magpie robin, lesser whistling teal, pintail, shoveller, egret and herons are some of the common birds which live in this park. More than 285 local and migratory birds have their homes inside the Pench national park Maharashtra. Road in this park goes deep into the forest. So, It is advisable to take a forest officer/guide along with you.
The park is divided into the western & eastern sides by the river Pench. The total area of the Pench Tiger Reserve is 757.85 sq.kms. It lies in the southern part of the Satpuda mountain range of Maharashtra. Pench national park Maharashtra has the undulating terrain with steep slopes & small hills on the sides. There are also some water holes in this forest. This national park joins “The Pench Sanctuary” in “Madhya Pradesh”, so the overall area covering both sanctuaries is about 1,000 Sq.Kms.
In such large area there is a large population of animals as well as trees. There are total 5 Rest Houses amidst thick woods at Ranidoh, Sillari, GharPendhari and Koleetmara. Tall teak trees are there along the border on both sides of the road. The curve of 1.5 kms ahead of Ranidoh gives an absolutely stunning view. The Ranidoh Rest House is the ideal rest house to stay!
Pench Safari Bookings & Entry Fees:
- ONLINE BOOKINGS
Bookings of jungle safaris can be done up to 24 hrs prior to the date of safari on the official website: www.mahaecotourism.gov.in You can also contact MTDC for bookings on this link.
- OFFLINE BOOKINGS
If you wish to do offline transaction then you can do it on the day of the safari at the booking counter by paying additional rs. 100 as offline booking charges.
- GUIDE FEES: Taking the guide with you is compulsory for safety measures. Rs. 300 /- per guide has to be paid for both online and offline bookings. (rates may vary)
- GYPSY: Tourists can hire a private open gypsies at the gate which cost Rs. 1800/- (rates may vary)
- CAMERA CHARGES: Still Camera Rs.60/ Cam and Video Camera Rs.300/Cam. (rates may vary)
Timings: Pench national park Maharashtra remains open to tourists between 6:00 a.m. to 10:30 am and between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. The park remains closed during monsoon months (July, August and September).
Time Required: 3 days are enough to see this national park properly.
Transport: By Personal as well as Hired vehicles. You can reach here from Nagpur via NH-7 to Khawasa via Kamptee, Mansar, Deolapar and Manegaon. Follow the district road to Pench National Park from this point.
- Nearest Railway Station: Nagpur station is the nearest railhead to this national park It is 65 kms away from the park.
- Nearest Airport: Nagpur is the nearest airport (65 kms) to Pench national park Maharashtra.
- Forest Rest Houses: Pench Jungle camp is a good option to stay. This camp is built on 11 acres land with 12 Deluxe Safari style canvas tents which are waterproof and built on a platform. 4 big A/C tiled rooms with attached bathroom-toilets, hot and cold water and anti-skid bathroom tiles are also there. Fun activities like Badminton courts, host of indoor games, swimming Pool with a filtration plant, Wildlife research center, Billiards room and Pool table are also there.
- Hotels: Other than Forest Rest Houses, there are many other private hotels in nearby villages which offer a comfortable stay with nice amenities.
Eating Stuff: Forest Rest Houses IN Pench national park Maharashtra. These rest houses have a multi cuisine Restaurant in the complex. Each room also has a coffee maker in each room.
Map To Reach: