Radhanagari wildlife reserve is a rich biological wildlife sanctuary near Kolhapur. Apart from its great fauna, it acts as a home to more than 390 fauna species.
Location Address: Radhanagari wildlife sanctuary, On the border of Kolhapur and Sindhudurg districts, Maharashtra (India).
Best Time To Visit: September to May is the best time to visit this sanctuary.
Radhanagari Wildlife Reserve Information
The evergreen forest of Radhanagari lies amidst gigantic Sahyadri Mountain Range on the border of Kolhapur & Sindhudurg districts. This forest was officially declared as the sanctuary in 1958. The sanctuary at Radhanagari is full of breath-taking spots due to a hilly region around it. It is famous for “Gava Buffalo” or Bison which are found here in very abundance. Bisons are the tallest, muscular and very strong Wild Bulls.
Sanctuary has spread over an area of 351.16 sq.kms. Majorly, the catchment areas of Shahu Nagar Dam and Laxmi Nagar Dam backwaters comes under Radhanagari wildlife reserve. Wide species of wildlife animals stay in Radhanagari Wildlife Sanctuary. Few of them belong to endangered and endemic species. It is one of the must visit sanctuaries in Maharashtra. The popular Dajipur sanctuary is just 26 km from Radhanagari.
This wildlife sanctuary lies amidst hilly areas and has dense forest cover. Sanctuary is located at an amazingly scenic place. This forest is a must visit for every student of Botany. Radhanagari wildlife reserve is a great place for botanical excursions and it makes a great spot for a very pleasant outing. This region lies at an altitude of 900 feet from mean sea level. Various rivers like Tulshi, Bhogavati, Dirba, Dudhganga and Kallamma irrigates this region and finally drains into the Krishna river. It is one of the best spots to visit near Kolhapur.
Radhanagari wildlife sanctuary is completely cut-off from human habitat. If you are a wildlife and adventure lover, this is the must visit spot for you. As this region has many hills, there are steep slopes at few places which are nice to see. It attracts a large number of trekking lovers throughout the year. Apart from its rich wildlife, it is also very rich in bauxite ore. You will also find famous Ganga Giri Maharaja’s Math in the forest area.
Wildlife Animals & Plants
This sanctuary serves as a home to 47 species of mammals, 264 species of birds, 59 species of reptiles, 20 species of amphibians and 66 species of butterflies.
- Flora (Plant Species): Radhanagari wildlife reserve had a thick vegetation of natural plants. Sanctuary mainly consists of southern evergreen forests, Southern moist mixed deciduous forest, and southern semi-evergreen forests.
- Trees like Jambhul, Hirda, Awala, Umbar, Pisa, Bhoma, Ain, Nana, Kinjal, Amba, Chandala, Katak, Gela, Bibba, Anjani, Bamboo and Kumbhat common in this sanctuary.
- Medicinal plants like Narkya, Tamalpati, Dhayati, Kadipatta, Toran, Karvand, Vagati, Ranmiri and Murudsheng are also present in Radhanagari wildlife sanctuary.
- Climber plants like Garambi and Shikekai are also present over here. Karvi is found very in very large number throughout the sanctuary region.
- Fauna (Animals): Bison is the main animal of Radhanagari wildlife reserve. They are present in this sanctuary in very large number. Other animals like Leopard, Sambar, Wild Boar, Barking Deer, Sloth Bear, Chausinga, Jackal, Hyaena, Spotted Deer, Common Langur, Porcupine, Hare, Giant Squirrels, Mouse deer and Wild dogs live in this sanctuary.
- Avifauna (Birds): Variety of local as well as migratory birds have their shelter in this sanctuary. Woodpeckers, Kingfishers, Jungle Fowl, Owls, Bee-Eaters, Flycatchers, Sand Pipers, Doves, Hornbills, Sunbirds, Vultures, Bulbul, Wagtails are commonly spot birds in the sanctuary.
- Reptiles: Species of reptiles like Python, Cobra, Monitor Lizzard and other species of snakes are also present in this sanctuary.
- This sanctuary has been listed among 34 most sensitive ecological zones around the world.
- Radhanagari wildlife reserve receives average annual rainfall of 400 to 500 mm.
- The forest of Dajipur also comes under Radhanagari Wildlife Sanctuary.
- During ancient times, this forest was reserved for royal hunting. Kings used to come here to hunt down various animals.
- This sanctuary is among the oldest wildlife sanctuaries in Maharashtra.
IMPORTANT TOURIST INFORMATION
Timings: Sanctuary remains open every day from 06:00 am to 06:00 pm!
Entry Fee / Ticket Charges: Forest officials take the nominal amount of entry fees to enter inside the sanctuary.
The time required: 3 to 4 hours are sufficient to see Radhanagari wildlife reserve properly!
Restaurants / Eating Options: There are not many eating options in the sanctuary. MTDC & forest canteen serve decent food items.
How To Reach Radhanagari Wildlife Reserve
- By Road: Phonda is the closest bus stop to Radhanagari wildlife sanctuary which is 20 km away. Radhanagari wildlife reserve is 57 km away from Kolhapur, 26 km away from Dajipur, 285 km from Pune, 428 km away from Mumbai, 489 km from Aurangabad and 501 km from Nashik.
- Nearest Railway Station: Kolhapur and Karad (35 km) stations are the most convenient railheads to reach this sanctuary. The lot number of trains like Jayanthi Express, Maharashtra Express, Chalukya Express, Koyna Express, Mahalaxmi Express, Goa Express, Jodhpur Express, Swarna, Sahyadri Express and Sharavati Express pass through these stations.
- Nearest Airport: Belgaum & Kolhapur (65 km) are closest airports to this sanctuary.
Staying Options / Accommodation: There are 4 suites of forest rest houses, 1 suite of Dak bungalow and 30 suites of dormitories inside Radhanagari wildlife reserve for accommodation purpose. Forest department also provides tents on request for a better wildlife experience. The special trekking camp is even more exciting & adventurous!
Contact: For reservation of rooms and other queries you can contact forest officials on 0231 – 2652935.
Enquiry & Booking: Deputy Conservator of Forests, Wildlife, Bindu chowk, Ganji Galli, Kolhapur, Maharashtra (India) – 416 002. Phone: +91-231-2542766
Nearby Attractions To Radhanagari Wildlife Sanctuary:
- Radhanagari Dam
- Radhanagari Beach
- Gagangiri Maharaj Math
- Phonda Ghat
- Dajipur Sanctuary
Map To Reach:
Radhanagari wildlife reserve is a good spot for nature lovers and botanical researchers. It is a good option for family outing near Kolhapur!