Shahu Maharaj museum Kolhapur (New palace museum Kolhapur) is one of the top tourist attractions in Kolhapur city. It lies in a building where current King (Chhatrapati) of Kolhapur stays.
Best Season To Visit: Tourists can visit Shahu Maharaj museum Kolhapur all year round. October to March is the best time to visit Kolhapur as the temperature remains pleasant during these months!
Timings: New palace museum Kolhapur remains open from 09.30 am to 01:00 pm and 02.30 pm to 06.00 pm (Except Monday).
Location: Bhavani Mandap – Kasaba Bavda Road, Kolhapur, Maharashtra (India) – 416 003.
Shahu Maharaj Museum Kolhapur Information
New palace museum Kolhapur is a magnificent royal museum situated in the Kolhapur city. This building was a royal palace of Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj (Grandson of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj). The palace was built between 1877- 1884 and currently it hosts the famous museum. The ground floor of the palace has been converted into the famous Shahu Maharaj museum. The present maharaja of Kolhapur lives on the 1st floor of this palace.
Collection of New palace museum Kolhapur
- Items of Shahu Maharaj: This museum has an interesting & impressive collection of items used by Shahu Maharaj. Various things like guns, costumes, silver elephant saddles, trophies, various weapons, jewellery, games, hunting photos, silver elephant saddles and embroidered items of Shahu Maharaj are good to watch.
- Weapons: Museum has an amazing collection of weapons including swords, rifles, a gold-plated, double-barrelled shotgun, and other guns. Various weapons used by Shahu Maharaj for hunting of animals have been displayed in a nice manner. One sword of Mughal Emperor – Aurangzeb is also there in Shahu Maharaj museum Kolhapur.
- Stuffed Animals: One interesting section of museum exhibits stuffed Tigers, Lion, Tiger heads, a Himalayan Black Bear, Wild Boar, Wild Dog, Sloth Bear, Black Panther, Black Buck, staring Wild Buffalo & many other species of deer. Most of these animals were hunt down by Shahu Maharaj.
- Animal Bone Accessories: Sticks made from the vertebrae of tigers & leopards are there in this museum. You can also see ashtrays carved out from Rhino’s feets and Tiger Skulls. Candle holders made from Ostrich feet can also be seen.
This royal palace in constructed in Indo-Saracenic colonial architectural style. Shahu Maharaj museum Kolhapur was designed by then famous British architect Charles Mant. This building is in the Rajwada style and nicely represents the mixture of Jain & Hindu architecture types from Gujarat and Rajasthan.
The side walls of New palace museum Kolhapur have lobed arches filled with stained glass that depict scenes from the life of Shivaji Maharaj. Elegantly carved columns with temple like brackets support the cast iron balcony above. A raised throne is located at end of the Hall. A letter of Indian governor general and British viceroy can also be seen in Shahu Maharaj museum Kolhapur. Museum also has a collection of old coins and furniture items. This palace and museum give an insight to the ancient royal life styles & culture.
Surrounding of the New palace museum Kolhapur has a Lush green garden, fountain, wrestling ground, a beautiful lake & a zoo which adds even more beauty to the palace. This place is among the major tourist attractions in Kolhapur. It is a must visit place for historical place lovers!
ESSENTIAL TOURIST INFORMATION
Time Required: 2 to 3 hours are good enough to explore the Shahu Maharaj museum Kolhapur and its surroundings.
How To Reach
As Kolhapur is one of the important cities in Maharashtra, you can easily reach here via road, railway and airport.
- By Road: Kolhapur city is on the National Highway-4. ST and private travel buses regularly ply to Kolhapur from Pune, Mumbai, Nashik, Aurangabad, Belgaum, Bangalore and Hubli.
- Nearest Railway Station: Kolhapur Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj railway station is the closest railhead to reach the museum. This railway station has good connectivity to various cities like Mumbai, Pune & Satara. Then you can catch private vehicle till the museum. Miraj station (55 km) is another option to reach Shahu Maharaj museum Kolhapur.
- Nearest Airport: Kolhapur has its own airport which is 10 km away from the museum. But very less number of flights flies to & from this airport. So alternatively, you can reach here from Pune airport which is 240 km away.
Ticket Charges: Entry fee of New palace museum Kolhapur for various persons is as below. Please note that photography is strictly prohibited inside this museum.
Eating Stuff: There are a lot of hotels in Kolhapur which serves mouth-watering food like spicy Kolhapuri chicken, Tambda Rassa, Padhara Rassa, Misal & other items.
Staying Options near Shahu Maharaj museum Kolhapur
The city of Kolhapur has a nice range of hotels for accommodation purpose. Hotel Pearl, Shalini Palace, Cassel, Samrat, Triveni, Opel, Ayodhya and Panchshil are some of the good hotels to stay in Kolhapur.
Map To Reach:
Shahu Maharaj museum Kolhapur (new palace museum Kolhapur) is a good place to check out in Kolhapur. It gives a good insight into the history of ancient Kolhapur.