Trimbakeshwar shiva temple near Nashik is a place of religious significance. It hosts a Jyotirlinga of Lord Shiva and a is constructed in black stone!
Location: 30 km from Nashik city, Maharashtra.
Best Time To Visit: You can visit Trimbakeshwar shiva temple all Year Round. However, June to February is the ideal time to visit temple when the weather remains pleasant. Temperatures rise very high up to 44°C during the summer months!
Elevation: It lies 4248 ft (1,295 m) above MSL.
Trimbakeshwar Shiva Temple Information
This temple is one of the 5 Jyotirlingas in Maharashtra. It is located at the base of Brahma Giri mountains near Nashik. The shrine of Trimbakeshwar is believed to be main Jyotirlinga among 12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva. Holy Godavari river originates from Brahmagiri hills of Trimbakeshwar. The whole temple is constructed from stone. It has very large temple complex & nice surroundings.
Temple is lined by rock fortifications along the circumference of a temple complex. The main shrine of Trimbakeshwar shiva temple is located on the square platform. There is a holy Kund (water tank) of Kushavarta which is accessible by stairs. Brahmagiri hills lie at a height of 4250 feet above mean sea level. It is one of the popular temples in Maharashtra!
According to legends, Trimbakeshwar shiva temple was built by Peshwe Rulers of Maratha Kingdom. Balaji Bajirao (Nanasaheb Peshwe) was the one who took an initiate to build a temple. People believe that the golden crown on the Shivlinga & gemstones were installed by Pandav’s of Mahabharata. However, the Neelmani (Nassak Diamond) on the Shivlinga was taken away by the British. A lot of devotees visit this temple in the month of Shravan to take a Pradakshina around the Brahmagiri. This activity is believed to be sacred among Hindus.
The Trimbakeshwar shiva temple is unique of all Jyotirlinga’s. Idol is carved out completely in the black stone. The main face of the temple is towards east direction. There are 3 Pindis (idol of stone) representing the holy Trinity of Creator Brahma, Operator Vishnu and Destroyer Shiva. There is also an open space near Shivlinga. The temple designs show fine ancient Indian art. The Brahmagiri mountain in the background gives a scenic view of the temple!
You can reach the place where the Godavari river originates by climbing about 700 steps. There is also a small fort named- The Trimbakgad. Brahmagiri hills have dense forest cover which looks fabulous in the rainy season. There is a huge fair in temple complex on the occasion of every Mahashivratri. It is also famous for Kumbh Mela which held on every 12 years.
Places To See Near Trimbakeshwar Shiva Temple
- Kushavarta:It is the place from where the river Godavari originates. Therefore people visit this spot to take a holy bath. This spot is one of the most scenic spots near Nashik region. You can get amazing panoramic views of the lush green on mountains from this spot.
- Kedareshwar Temple: People generally visit this temple after taking darshan at Trimbakeshwar shiva temple.
- Gorakhnath Cave:This was the place where saint Gorakhnath meditated for Ganga (Godavari) to appear. Few people also believe that Gautam Rishi meditated here to please Lord Shiva. So Godavari river is also known as Gautami river after his name.
- Trekking: As the temple lies amidst beautiful Sahyadri Mountain Range. There are various peaks around the temple like Bhaskargad, Brahmagiri, and Harshagad. If you are an adventure lover then you can explore these popular trekking spots. A large number of hikers visit these forts every year.
Festivals Celebrated In Trimbakeshwar shiva temple
- Sinhastha Kumbha Mela: It is the major festival of Trimakeshwar Temple. This place hosts Kumbha Mela once in 12 years when Jupiter meets Leo.
- Mahashivaratri: Another festival which is celebrated with full of joy. The occasion of Mahashivratri comes on the 13th day of Krishna Paksha.
- Nivruttinath Yatra: The temple premises hosts a yatra (fair) of Saint Nivruttinath somewhere between January for 3 days.
- Godavari Day: This day is celebrated in the February month during the first 12 days of an extremely bright moon.
- Brahmagiri Hills
- Kedareshwar Temple
- Neel Parvat
ESSENTIAL TOURIST INFORMATION
Trimbakeshwar Temple Timings
Temple remains open to devotees everyday 05:30 am to 09:00 pm. Generally, 2 to 3 hours are enough to take a darshan on a normal day.
Time Required: You can take a darshan in a day and come back. However, if you want to explore surrounding then 2-3 days are good to spend in Trimbakeshwar!
How To Reach Trimbakeshwar Shiva Temple
Reaching Nashik is the convenient way to reach this place. Nashik is well connected to all popular tourist cities in Maharashtra by Road, Railway & Air.
- By Road: Its distance from Nashik Road Junction is 45 km & takes only 1 hour to reach. Private vehicles, Tourist buses & ST Buses regularly ply between Nashik & Trimbakeshwar. There is a regular bus service at every 15 minutes from Nashik to Trimbakeshwar.
- Nearest Railway Station: Nashik station is the nearest station to reach this temple. The station is 39 km away from the temple. Taxi service is easily available from the station to the temple.
- Nearest Airport: Ozar airport of Nashik (37 km) is the closest airport to reach Trimbakeshwar shiva temple. However, this airport is not much active and have very less number passenger flights. So Mumbai airport (192 km) is the convenient airport to reach Trim Taxies are easily available outside the airport which will take to the destination!
Eating Stuff: There are many restaurants & eateries around the temple to have food.
Hotels/ Resorts To Stay
Being a scenic spot along with the religious significance, a huge number of people visit this town. So it is advisable to book your room in advance. Many deluxe, semi-deluxe & budget hotels are available in Trimbakeshwar. You can check the availability of MTDC Hotel/resort at this link. Many hotels have the facility to provide the guide who can take you to the tour of Trimbakeshwar!
Nearby Tourist Places:
Map To Reach:
Official Website: The official website of Trimbakeshwatr temple trust is www.trimbakeshwar.net
Trimbakeshwar shiva temple is a good spot for short family trip. Apart from the temple, there are various tourist spots around it. So you can explore temples, trekking routes and get scenic views of the surroundings!